Re: st: Re: Factor analysis after multiple imputation in STATA

From   "Rodrigo A. Alfaro" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Re: Factor analysis after multiple imputation in STATA
Date   Thu, 12 Jul 2007 21:35:21 -0400

///
Woolton,

You could check Schafer, J.L. (1997), Analysis of Incomplete Multivariate Data, New York: Chapman and Hall, as primary reference for Missing Data and how to run EM. Joe has an executable for Windows that computes EM algorithm (http://www.stat.psu.edu/~jls/norm203.exe), it is very fast and friendly. You should take the variance-covariance matrix, and construct the correlation matrix by hand (this is easy, it should be a shortcut... but I am out of ideas), then use -factormat- to solve your problem.

I checked the web (long life to gooogle) and there are other sources for your problem. Little and Rubin (2002) http://www.amazon.com/Statistical-Analysis-Missing-Data-Second/dp/0471183865 and Jamshidian, M. (1997). An EM algorithm for ML factor analysis with missing data. (Ed.). Berkane, M (Ed.). Latent Variable Modeling and Applications to Causality (p. 247-258). New York: Springer Verlag. The latter seems to what you want.

HTH, Rodrigo.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Woolton Lee" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, July 12, 2007 8:58 PM
Subject: Re: st: Re: Factor analysis after multiple imputation in STATA

Thanks for your reply.  So it sounds as though you are saying that I
can use the EM algorthm to run factor analysis in the presence of
missing data.  Is that correct?  How might I go about implementing
this approach?  By the way, do you have any references I might use to
get some background on this approach?

Thank you for your help,

Woolton