RE: st: What is seemingly unrelated regression?

From   "Mak, Timothy" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: What is seemingly unrelated regression?
Date   Wed, 11 Jul 2007 17:04:23 +0100

Thanks Sam.

If you don't mind, one more question: When using SUR, can we have
variables being both independent and dependent, ie dependent in one
equation and independent in another? Ie, can we use it to fit some
simple structural equation models?

Tim

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of SamL
Sent: 10 July 2007 17:01
To: Stata Listserve
Cc: [email protected]
Subject: RE: st: What is seemingly unrelated regression?

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007, Mak, Timothy wrote:

> Dear Sam,
>
> I'm not sure I understand your notation. Supposedly X is an
> independent variable that is shared between the equations, whereas Z
> and Q are variables that are not shared.

Correct.

> So do you imply that SUR is only useful when at least one independent
> variable is shared across equations?

No.  As I said, the efficiency increase only occurs if at least one of
the variables differs across equations.  However, the ability to test
coefficients across equations remains.

Second, none of the variables need to be shared across equations.  But,
because the usual researcher finds themselves placing some of the
independent variables in two different equations, I included X in both
to indicate that was allowed.

> In any case, the question why using SUR produces markedly biased
> estimates in my simple illustration still begs an answer.

I tried to clarify that SUR is not for a situation where there is only
one Y.  If I understand, your simulation produces only one Y.  Thus, the
simulation is not appropriate.

HTH
Sam