st: How to identify observations in Using file for further analysis with "nearmrg" command

From   hmjc66 <[email protected]>
To   statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   st: How to identify observations in Using file for further analysis with "nearmrg" command
Date   Mon, 2 Jul 2007 11:40:08 -0400

Hi,

My data is of the following type (see below). I am trying to find the
closest match based on var1. I also need to analyze var2-var5 further
for ONLY the matched observations in the Using file, but am unable to
identify them.

For example, lets say observations 7, 9, 11, 14 and 15 from Using file
are matched respectively to 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 from Master file based on
var1. I want to only keep observations 7, 9, 11, 14 and 15 from the
Using file for further analysis, but cannot identify them. Right now,
my Master file contains var1bin after -nearmrg-, and I cannot tell
which specific observations in the Using file have been picked. Can
you please advise?

Currently, my -nearmrg- program is as follows:-

nearmrg permno using "C:\Using.dta", nearvar(var1) genmatch(var1bin);

Thanks,

Hugh

Master
id	var1