Re: st: First small problem with Stata 10

From   Alan Riley <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: First small problem with Stata 10
Date   Fri, 29 Jun 2007 17:48:12 -0500

Fred Wolfe ([email protected]) has a couple of questions
about windowing preferences in Stata 10 on Windows XP:

> 1) I closed Stata 10 with about 6 help windows open for different
> files. Wen I reopened Stata 10, 6 help windows opened, each titled
> "help help_advice."

This is due to the way Fred's Windowing preferences have been set.
A slight change in his settings will give him the behavior he wishes.

Fred is using persistent Viewers.  Persistent Viewers are Viewers that
are automatically opened each time Stata starts.  There are two
settings in Stata related to this.  These settings can be found by
selecting "General Preferences..." from the Edit--Preferences menu
and clicking on the Windowing tab.

There are several checkboxes on the Windowing tab.  The two of interest
are

    - Make undocked Viewers persistent

    - Persistent Viewers retain topics

I believe that Fred has checked the first of these two boxes (this
is why the 6 Viewers he had open when he closed Stata automatically
opened when he started Stata the next time).  However, I believe
he has not checked the second of these two boxes (and hence the
persistent Viewers are all appearing with a default help topic).
He should check the "Persistent Viewers retain topics" box, as this
tells Stata that the persistent Viewers should remember the topics
that were open in them in a previous instance of Stata.

> 2) Sometime when I drag a help window it becomes transparent and I
> have to click it up to several times before it loses its transparency.

This is something we have not seen and can not reproduce.  Fred--please
send a screenshot if possible of this to [email protected] along
with any other information about when this happens so that they can
help see what settings might be affecting this.

--Alan
([email protected])