RE: st: graph editor stata10

From   "Dupont, William" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: graph editor stata10
Date   Wed, 27 Jun 2007 17:16:37 -0500

Nick's point about our lack of experience with v10 is well taken.
However, my own superficial impression of the graphics editor is as
follows.

First, the editor is really helpful for annotating graphs.  The -text-
option of conventional graph commands is inconvenient and the ability to
drag text around with the graphics editor is great.  Similarly, being
able to make fine adjustments to the location of legends will be
helpful.

I am more ambivalent about the other features.  Clicking on a graph
feature (say an axis) brings up a dialog box that is focused on this
feature.  This dialogue box is easier to use than the general dialogue
boxes because it is specific to changes that you might want to make to
the axis.  The cost of this convenience is the loss of one's changes in
the Review window.  On the other hand, the design of the general
dialogue boxes has been improved.  They are, perhaps, a little harder to
use than those of the graphics editor, but not much.  Once you have the
right box, you can experiment with different changes and see their
effects by clicking the Submit button.  My first impression is that it
will usually be worth the trouble to look up the conventional boxes so
that one's changes then flow into the Review window for future use.

I would be interested to know if others share my impression of the new
editor, of if I am missing something.

I do hope that sometime in the future (perhaps v11) Stata Corp will
allow at least some of the edits that can be made with this editor to
flow into the Review window.  One of the really great features of Stata
is its ability to create new commands by pointing and clicking without
giving up the ability to create log files or to easily generate do
files.  The graphics editor would be even cooler if it also allowed us
to have our cake and eat it too.

Bill Dupont