RE: st: graph editor stata10

From   SamL <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: graph editor stata10
Date   Wed, 27 Jun 2007 08:20:46 -0700 (PDT)

No, it wasn't a joke.  But it was a direct response inspired by Bill
Gould's earlier post that stata thought about limiting the editor.  Bill
wrote:

We looked long and hard at the issue and came to the conclusion that
restricting the editor to doing just things the editor could "understand"
(and so record generically) would overly limit the kind of things
interactive users could do.

So, I reasoned that now that the full editor has been produced,
constructing a less powerful version of the editor would be relatively
simple and would not lead users to be frustrated.  I can imagine that if
they had released the limited one first, lots of complaints would have
ensued.  However, if stata now makes and releases the limited one, any
complaints as to its limits can be easily answered--just use the full
version.

I winked because it is a bit early to be making such a list.  On the other
hand, something should be mentioned for the wishlist when it arises, else
it may get lost in the shuffle (and thus not really evaluated and,
perhaps, explicitly rejected).  If I recall correctly, this was what
happened with stata9, as several users pointed out that providing mixed
models only for interval level variables was a weakness, and that gllamm
was not sufficient (too powerful, not fully integrated, not fully
supported) as the only means of estimating mixed models for categorical
data.  Thankfully, it appears that comment need no longer be made.

Take care.
Sam