st: Stata closes when I run my models

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Stata closes when I run my models
Date   Sun, 24 Jun 2007 14:06:14 -0400

Hello all,

Something mysterious has happened. I am trying to run negative binomial models in Stata 9.2. I did this with the same data set and code several weeks ago and it worked fine; however they now shut Stata down ("Stata has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.") Poisson models will also no longer run, linear regressions seem to work fine. I tried nbreg on another machine that has Stata 7 and it worked just fine but Stata 7 doesn't have nlcom which I need to use. A friend tried it out on his Mac (Stata 9) and it worked. I have tried multiple machines (all on the UNC campus), re-saving the dataset to different files, using subsets of the data, etc. The data set is in Excel and after I bring it into Stata I can do things like generate summary statistics on the variables I'm using but once I try to run a model - bam! Down it goes. I'm getting kind of desperate! Here is the error signature:

AppName: wsestata.exe AppVer: 9.0.432.0 ModName: ntdll.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.2180 Offset: 00010f29

Thank you for any help you can provide!!!

Kim
*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/