Wishlist st: Re: Large data sets

From   SamL <[email protected]>
To   Stata Listserve <[email protected]>
Subject   Wishlist st: Re: Large data sets
Date   Fri, 22 Jun 2007 22:17:59 -0700 (PDT)

This brings up a general problem that I wonder if stata can fix, or has
fixed.  I routinely use large datasets--by large I mean 4-10 gb.  I use a
unix system managed by a computer center.  Sometimes my data becomes so
large that there is no machine large enough to invoke stata and hold all
the data in memory.

I should also say that my models routinely take weeks or even months to
run, so I am resigned to waiting a long time for results.  Speed is not my
interest.

So, I was wondering whether stata can, or has, made it possible to tell
stata to use a disk as virtual memory.  I know this will slow down run
times substantially, and my 4 week job could easily become a 6 month job.
But, at present, my 4 week job cannot be run without more resources, and
that means waiting a year to get more money to buy more memory.  So, even
at 6 months, that would be more than twice as fast as now.

I know this is not the common desire--I chuckle when someone complains
that it took 57 seconds to run something rather than the 35 seconds they
had expected, and wonder whether stata is efficient enough.  Yes,
efficiency there would help me, too.  But what would help far more is the
ability to just opt out of holding all the data in memory when I need to
do so.

FYI--Yes, I've done all the data reduction one might suggest (e.g., using
frequency weights for patterns in the data, and so forth) and no, for my
problem sampling will not be helpful because the models I am estimating
need all the data to address issues of sparseness in some parts of the
data, and sampling will prevent that gain in information.

So, how 'bout it stata--have you made it possible for one to use a disk as
virtual memory with a few commands and, if not, will you please do so?

Respectfully yours,
Sam