Re: st: Windows (& Vista) will not search within do files.

From   David Kantor <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Windows (& Vista) will not search within do files.
Date   Fri, 22 Jun 2007 12:58:46 -0400

At 04:55 PM 6/21/2007, Rodrigo wrote:
I like your solution. I should say rather than complex, over-protected
over-"visualized". Maybe someday we will return to the basics.

DOS lives!! :-)
Rodrigo.
[...]
Several people have given useful suggestions. I will tell how I handle this. I do it the old-fashioned way -- in the command prompt using the -find- command. (And I never had the problem Paul mentioned; I wasn't even aware of it.) I may be out-of-date, but to me this is an example of how modern user-interfaces have become so complex that they cause more problems than they solve.
Thank you for that validation. And I agree with your assessment of "over-protected" and "over-visualized".

I'm not really a champion of DOS in particular. (And what we are dealing with is really the command environment of Windows, which is not exactly the same as DOS.) I also find DOS (or the Windows command environment) to be a bit disappointing, after having worked in some others for many years. What I do prefer is the general concept of a command environment -- old-fashioned, but very powerful if you know how to use it. Evidently, many others agree, as some of the other responses have been about programs that provide various alternative command environments under Windows.

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/