st: poisson regression different data sets-dummy variables v xi

From   ANN FITZMAURICE <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: poisson regression different data sets-dummy variables v xi
Date   Fri, 22 Jun 2007 09:33:46 +0000 (GMT)

hi
i know that i can use the following

Use data1 , clear
Poisson y x
Predict  file1_m, ir
Use data 2, clear
Predict file2_m , ir

My question relates to the use of the command xi, in the regression the command is
xi:poisson var1 i.var2 i.var3 var4 etc.

but when i try to apply the results from file 1 to file 2 , i get an error message, for this to work prior to any analysis would i have to create dummy variables in b oth of the data sets .  I plan on running a series of regressions using different combnation of the independent vars and am therfore trying to automated the procedure as much as possible.

I could of course run all of the regressions in file one and output the seperate predicted varaibles to the second file, but thought using the above would be more efficient

this analyses will be repeated on several different country data sets, therefore looking for an efficient method

I trust that this explanation is ok

ann