RE: st: Windows (& Vista) will not search within do files.

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Windows (& Vista) will not search within do files.
Date   Thu, 21 Jun 2007 20:36:49 +0100

-grep- is the Unix original of -find-. There are
various etymologies, usually along the lines of
get regular expression and print. Whatever the
name, -grep- searches text files and returns lines matching
regular expressions. Some text editors have a built-in
grep or equivalent. Vim is one example.

This thread, and some recently, on text editors have
gratifyingly shown that some people are aware of the
Stone Soup document at

http://fmwww.bc.edu/repec/bocode/t/textEditors.html

but embarrassingly underlined that it's getting a little
out of date. A couple of people have recently sent me
updates and I would welcome other updates, or
material along the same lines, sent _privately_ please.

At the risk of sounding churlish, I flag that material
along the same lines does _not_ include contributions
of this kind:

"The FAQ does not include Fooedit. I use Fooedit.
Fooedit is an fantastic editor and a bargain.
Fooedit rocks, is cool, is hot, adds meaning to
my otherwise sad life, and consoled me when my partner
left to become a SAS user. You should include an entry
on Fooedit."

This may well be true, but without any details it
would not add substance to the FAQ, already too
long in some senses.

We want _real_ technical and expository detail on any editor mentioned,
including how to use it in conjunction with Stata.

Feiveson, Alan H.