FW: st: Windows (& Vista) will not search within do files.

From   "Feiveson, Alan H. (JSC-SK311)" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   FW: st: Windows (& Vista) will not search within do files.
Date   Thu, 21 Jun 2007 14:17:18 -0500

I don't know if this would help, but my son suggested "grep" (whatever
that is).

Al Feiveson

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Tim
Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2007 6:08 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: Windows (& Vista) will not search within do files.

Paul Seed wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am running Stata version 9.2 (fully updated) on a Dell Latitude with

> Microsoft Windows XP (5.1 build 2600)..
>
> Whenever I open Windows explorer & try to search for a do file,
> containing a particular piece of text, no files are found. This is so
> however many do files there actualy are with  the relevant text.  This

> does not affect any other file type; indeed changing the extension to
> (e.g.) txt "solves" the problem, and files can then be found.  .  But
> changing the extensions on all my do files to something else is not
> feasible even as a work-around.
>
> There does not seem to It appears that this OS does not search inside
> a file with 2-letter extensions.
>
> As this is Windows bug, StataCorp is unable to help & there is no FAQ
> about it.
> However, I am informed that the problem also comes up in Vista Does
> anyone know a work-around that does not involve uninstalling Windows?
> (e.g. another applicaiton that will search inside do files).

My first thought was "does Google Desktop do this?" I just tried
searching for text that I know is in a .do file using Google Desktop,
and got no results (instantly).

I am using Vista Ultimate (for about 6.5 days now) and Stata 9.2.
I've only owned the computer for a week. It came from Dell with Google
Desktop installed, and I presume Google Desktop has had sufficient time
to index all the files I copied across in the first 2 days.

Using the native Vista search for the same text gave the same results as
Google Desktop (but I had to wait about a minute to get the results,
after clicking to request Windows to search within files). To the point
of this thread: neither Google Desktop nor the Vista native search found
files with .do extension containing text that I know is in those files.

I think Yahoo also produce a desktop search product. But if not
searching files with 2-letter extensions is a Windows bug, then probably
all search programs in Windows will have this problem.

Programmers were told for years to allow more than 3 letters in a file
extension. Now they allow more than 3 letters, and you complain because
you cannot use less than 3 letters?

Tim