Re: st: Windows (& Vista) will not search within do files.

From   Tim <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Windows (& Vista) will not search within do files.
Date   Thu, 21 Jun 2007 21:41:45 +1000

I thought it was just a configurable list of file types to index (and I thought that accounted for the difference in search speeds I mentioned earlier: Google indexes everything and all searches are instant, vista indexes the files you expect it to search, but takes much longer if you want to search other files). And if the search fails, Vista allows you to search nonindexed files (and in this case it still fails).

Looking at Google Desktop prefernces, I cannot see any facility to choose file types.

In the Vista Index options, under Advanced Options, I found a list of file types. .do is set as "Index Properties Only", whereas the next entry ".doc" is "Index Properties and File Contents".

So the answer to the original query is, in Vista:

Control Panel > System and Maintenance > Indexing Options > Advanced > (UAC) > File Types: [select .do]: [select Index Properties and File Contents]

(While you're there, you might as well check all the other extensions and add any you think you might want to search within.)

Tim

Michael Blasnik wrote:

I'm pretty sure that the built-in file search engine in Vista has a configurable list of file types to index and search. I think you need to add .do files to that list. The same is probably true for Google Desktop.

Michael Blasnik