Re: st: Estimating variable median from svy data

From   Steven Samuels <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Estimating variable median from svy data
Date   Thu, 14 Jun 2007 12:26:53 -0400

Redundant Line
On Jun 14, 2007, at 8:27 AM, Ashwin Ananthakrishnan wrote:
Hi,

I am a current user of Stata 9.0.

I'm working on analysis of a complex stratified survey
dataset. I know commands such as the 'svy: mean
(varname)' command estimate the mean for a particular
variable. Can someone please tell me if there is a
corresponding command to estimate the median of a
variable that is not normally distributed?

-summarize- and -pctile- will take weights. Unfortunately there is no easy way to obtain a CI for the percentiles. Request to Stata: Please implement a method such as that in Sarndal,Swensson, & Wretman (1992) Model Assisted Survey Sampling, Springer, pp 197-206.

-Steve-

. webuse nhanes2
. svydes

Survey: Describing stage 1 sampling units

pweight: finalwgt
VCE: linearized
Strata 1: strata
SU 1: psu