Re: Re: st: gmm -> nkpc

From   "Sebastian Kruk" <[email protected]>
From   Michael Hanson <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: Re: st: gmm -> nkpc
Subject   Re: st: gmm --> nkpc
Date   Wed, 13 Jun 2007 21:36:59 -0300
Date   Tue, 12 Jun 2007 02:19:53 -0400

On Jun 12, 2007, at 12:00 AM, Sebastian Kruk wrote:

Hi stata's users! I am new.
      Then you should start by reading the FAQ:

<http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/res/statalist.html>

Section 3 is particularly relevant for you, as I suspect several list
members will point out (if they don't simply ignore you, given that
you have broadly ignored the advice there....).

I would like to fit a new keynesian curve
      Quoting from section 3 of the FAQ:

"Many questions will be of interest to only some Statalist members.
Always recall that members come from many different sciences. Try to
show a little sensitivity to those noneconometricians,..."

Given your subject line -- and my own expertise -- I happen to know
that you are referring to a "New Keynesian Phillips Curve".  Be
considerate of the fact that most people on this list will neither
know nor care much about that particular macroeconomic topic.

using generalized moment method.
      Perhaps you meant to ask how to conduct generalized method of
moments (GMM) estimation in Stata?  Typing -findit gmm- on the
command line of Stata (note the convention for referring to Stata
commands on Statalist, mentioned in the above-referenced FAQ) would
turn up several options.  -ivreg2- is probably your best bet with
Stata 9.x.  Note that Stata 10, which will be released at the end of
this month, features a new set of commands for estimating models with
endogenous regressors;  see, e.g., <http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?
ivregress>.

      That said, I presume you are aware of the growing literature on the
potential problems of using GMM techniques to estimate this class of
dynamic macroeconomic relationships.  See, for example,

<http://www.bos.frb.org/economic/wp/wp2004/wp042.pdf>
<http://www.atl-res.com/~nason/pdf/wp0501.pdf>

Bye. Sebas
      Hope this helps.  I take it this is not your web site:  <http://
www.sebastiankruk.com/>.

                                      -- Mike

What techniques do you recommend to use to estimate a New Keynesian
Phillips Curve?

Sebas.