Statalist The Stata Listserver

RE: st: RE: RE: Encryption of data

From   "Hendri Adriaens" <>
To   <>
Subject   RE: st: RE: RE: Encryption of data
Date   Wed, 13 Jun 2007 17:00:20 +0200

Dear David,

> We sociologists (and others) make a distinction between
> anonymity and
> confidentiality.  To make a dataset anonymous, it would seem
> you need
> to remove the variable that has the names.

Thanks for your concern, but it doesn't involve names, these are removed
anyway. I need the variable to link the data to other datasets. But it's
enough to encrypt the variable in a one-way manner. I can do that for both
datasets, get anonymity and am able to link. I cannot link and then destroy
the variable, we will need it later.

Best regards,