Re: st: RE: New member orientation

From   Nick Winter <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: New member orientation
Date   Wed, 13 Jun 2007 09:44:54 -0400

I take issue with the premise that there is a Big Problem needing to be solved.

The way I see it is that on a list with hundreds of weekly emails, there is an occasional post, from someone who seems new to the list, that seems misguided in some way. List members--usually Nick Cox--gently point out the issue, remind the poster of the FAQ, and life goes on. Now maybe this is a big burden for Nick, and maybe things would get much worse without his work reminding people.

In some ideal world everyone would read and understand every FAQ completely before posting. In that ideal world I wouldn't have a cabinet full of unused dental floss, one from each visit to the dentist over the last decade . . .

--Nick Winter

Nick Cox wrote:

I am no expert but from first principles it would seem that the information that somebody has visited the FAQ is
(1) stored in the user's own machine, at least temporarily,
and
(2) (possibly) stored somehow on the StataCorp website
as that is where the FAQ is hosted.
Setting aside all questions of feasibility, those who run Statalist have _absolutely_ no right (or desire) to hack into any user's machine, so that rules out (1) in a flash.
(2) is not quite so easy but I incline to the view that it is wrong as a matter of principle to use this information. The whole thing is too Orwellian. In any case I seriously doubt that StataCorp would want to make it available to outsiders even if that were possible, whether directly or indirectly.
More simply, just visiting the FAQ is no guarantee of close attention, so while this solution might reduce some problems, the problem is not one of website accesses, but of what is read, learnt
and inwardly digested.
Nick [email protected]
SamL

Would it be prohibitively difficult technologically to prevent someone
from posting until they had actually visited the FAQ page? I know that
sounds draconian, but it is for their own good. (WOW, this just keeps
sounding worser and worser). Bad though it may sound, is it possible? If
so, then is it desirable?

Sam