Re: st: Re: simultaneous equations with fixed effects and robust standard errors

From   "Duy Hinh Khieu" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Re: simultaneous equations with fixed effects and robust standard errors
Date   Mon, 11 Jun 2007 23:23:43 -0400

Thank you - Kit Baum - very much for your comments. I am not really sure, however, of what you mean by standard IV estimators in the context of my model, which is mixed with one continuous endog var and 6 binary endog variables. If I use the xtivreg2 as follows, can you tell me if I translate your comments correctly into STATA code:

xtivreg2 maturity (leverage=size profit) (my_binary_var=size profit ) dividends year86-year05, fe robust endog( leverage my_binary_var)

I would need to do the bracket part of the code that contains my_binary_var six times because I have six binary endog variables and include them all in the above xtivreg2?

The reason why I need to use probit or logit is not because I am concerned about a consistent estimator, but because I need to do a two-stage estimates and the first stage involves a binary variable. Am I right?

If you have a source that states that the first stage estimation does not need to involve a probit or logit, I'd really appreciate your giving me that reference. All I have is Maddala (1983), pages 243-245.

Again, thank you so much.

Regards,
Hinh
-----Original Message-----
From: Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 20:40:37 -0400
Subject: st: Re: simultaneous equations with fixed effects and robust standard errors

As Mark Schaffer's posts have often indicated, there is nothing
stopping you from using a standard instrumental variables estimator
in this context, in essence employing the linear probability model in
the 'first stage' estimation. You need not use a probit nor logit to
get consistent estimates of the equations of interest.

http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html