Re: st: RE: Stata 9/10 compatibility

From   [email protected] (William Gould, StataCorp LP)
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Stata 9/10 compatibility
Date   Thu, 07 Jun 2007 11:54:54 -0500

Fred Wolfe <[email protected]> writes,

> But suppose we are updating ado and help files that will run in Stata
> 9 (or just updating a help file) while using Stata 10. In that case
> Stata 9 users can't see or read that help file. In our own internal
> ado and help files, we send updated files to outside research
> collaborators will may still have Stata 9. In such circumstances -fixsthlp-
> would be useful.

If you are updating a Stata 9 ado-file, and it is going to continue being
a Stata 9 ado file (i.e., it says -version 9.<something>-), then if you
are updating or adding new help, name the files using the .hlp extension,
even if you are using Stata 10.  Stata 10 finds both .sthlp and .hlp files.

-- Bill