RE: st: RE: Graphs: patterns instead of solid colors in Stata Maps

From   SamL <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: RE: Graphs: patterns instead of solid colors in Stata Maps
Date   Wed, 6 Jun 2007 14:25:39 -0700 (PDT)

Nick's example just goes to show the issue isn't color vs. fill pattern,
it is careful thoughtful effort to communicate vs. thoughtless application
of whiz-bang "features," and sometimes "color" is one of those features
poorly applied.  Thus, stata, wise in many ways, is not protecting anyone
by not providing fill patterns for graphs.  Citing Tufte is informative,
and Tufte is smart, but I doubt he (or anyone) can specify what will
*always* be the absolute best way to display graphical information.  Just
as the color choice Nick mentioned seems confusing and unwise, fill
patterns may have meaning in a community, and thus their deletion from
stata is problematic.  For this and other reasons, in this case stata's
decision is not helpful, for it is just reducing the tools available for
the careful to thoughtfully make their effort to communicate.  Not good.

Take care.
Sam

PS--For another maddening example, someone used blue for Democrats on maps
during the 2000 election in the US when Democrats are to the left of the
other dominant party and for centuries RED has been the color of the
parties of the left.  Now, the conversation in the US is constantly
confusing, as some still say "better dead than red" while other right wing
supporters, avidly anti-communist, say "let's make 'America' red."  Yes,
Tufte aside, it would have been far better if those maps had used fill
patterns rather than (the wrong) colors.

Take care.
Sam