Re: st: RE: Normalized Gini coeffient for Negative Income values

From   "G�l �NAL " <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Normalized Gini coeffient for Negative Income values
Date   Wed, 6 Jun 2007 13:20:18 -0400

Hi Nick,
thank you for the comments, let me make myself more clear then. First
on the reference, here is the additional information for those of you
who are interested:

Chau-Nan Chen Tien-Wang Tsaur; Tong-Shieng Rhai. (1982) The Gini
Coefficient and the Negative Income. Oxford Economic Papers
(pre-1986); Nov 1982; 34, 3, pp. 473-78

On the issue of  "fixing the Gini": Chen et al, in their article
suggest that when negative incomes are present regular Gini
coefficient may overestimate the inequality.

I will give the example they use in their article: Consider a
community with ten households with the following incomes ( -500, -300,
-300, -100, 200, 300, 300, 400, 500, 500). Normal Gini coefficient of
such a distribution will be 1.94. When one thinks a case where one
household has all the income and all else has nothing Gini is .99,
then this 1.94 is an overestimation. Cheun et al.'s suggestion is to
correct for this overestimation, which I think is sensible.

Thanks for the comments, and I am looking forward to hear incase
anyone has any experience with calculating Gini coefficients for
datasets with negative incomes,
Yours,
Gul