RE: st: Stata 10 announcement

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Stata 10 announcement
Date   Mon, 4 Jun 2007 13:56:38 +0100

This is for StataCorp, but I have to guess
that it is very highly unlikely.

First off, StataCorp _is_ a business. They
really don't want to discourage users from
upgrading, or give them any reason not to
upgrade.

Second, reading is not the only issue here, even in
principle. This would mean a massive hit
on Stata's code. Suppose you read in a
new dataset -- created by someone else's
Stata 10 - with new date-time variables.
Do you then expect Stata 9 to do the right
thing with its time series commands on
those variables? What would be the right
thing? To act like Stata 10? Or do you expect
Stata 9 to ignore all the things it cannot
handle? In that case, the key detail is that
Stata 10 has a -saveold- command. Any friends
who get Stata 10 before you do can share
datasets in that way.

Also, now that Stata 10
is announced, I doubt that there will be
any more updates for Stata 9, either
to executable or ados. If you report
a new bug or misfeature, StataCorp will
attend to it at the first available