Re: st: A question on using survival model

Subject   Re: st: A question on using survival model
Date   Fri, 25 May 2007 21:32:10 -0400

Chunling Lu --
My example demonstrates that you can't do what you propose--assuming
the dummy for positive visits is generated by a visits variable
distributed Poisson can easily lead to a very poor estimate of mean
visits--and you have no way of assessing how badly you've done in your
data.  If the only information you have is that 87% have zero visits,
how will you estimate the mean of the nonzero values?  If you assume
Poisson, using only the fact that 87% have zero visits, your estimate
of lambda is 0.137, but the true mean is 1.42, so you'd be off by a
factor of ten using my data and your method.  If you assume neg bin,
how will you model both the mean and dispersion?

Just find some better data on visits.