Re: st: How to test for equality of variance in data with sampling weights

From   Steven Samuels <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: How to test for equality of variance in data with sampling weights
Date   Fri, 25 May 2007 10:59:47 -0400

Johannes, I would be very surprised if the sample was a Simple Random Sample. The text you provided was not in the link, which is a spreadsheet "doc_bases2.xls". However there appears to be a technical document Buato302.doc at the link "Recomendaciones t�cnicas para el uso de la BUA" on the page. http://www.indec.mecon.gov.ar/ dbindec/default_ampliada.asp. I cannot read Spanish, so I'm unable to determine if this will be helpful.

At this point, I suggest that you consult the staff or others who have used the EPH for guidance on what variables, if any, designate the multistage sampling units in the single urban survey. At the very least, determine if more than one person was surveyed in each household. Determine if there is a household identifier as well as a person identifier. Most of these surveys provide a codebook with definitions of variables.

The identification of the specific sampling design would not be necessary if all you wanted to do is ESTIMATE standard deviations for different groups. However you will need to compute standard errors for the estimated SD's, and for the standard errors, specification of the correct design is crucial.

Good luck!

Steven