Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: categorical to continuous income

From   "Pia Caronongan" <>
Subject   st: categorical to continuous income
Date   Thu, 24 May 2007 12:54:59 -0400

Hi everyone,
I have a dataset with a categorical income measure (i.e. each category
represents a particular income range).  I would like to create a
continuous income variable by assigning a random value within each
range to each observation.  My guess is that this would involve some
combination/extension of gen or impute, but was wondering if anyone
has some experience with a similar situation?

Any input would be appreciated.