st: Re: Seeking explanation of the internal procedures of -replace-

Subject   st: Re: Seeking explanation of the internal procedures of -replace-
Date   Thu, 24 May 2007 07:27:08 -0400

Stata works sequentially through the variable in a replace, which allows functions such as sum() to accumulate a running sum and allows [_n-1] constructs to work properly. I don't see why you need to use clonevar and then rename and drop -- you could just use a temporary variable to hold the original values and then replace the originals with the tempvar at the end. I wrote an ado to do what you want except I didn't include an [if] option which you could probably add without too much work. It's short enough to include here:

program define scramble
version 9.2
syntax [varlist]
tempvar hold order rand
gen long `order'=_n
foreach var of local varlist {
gen `rand'=uniform()
gen `hold'=`var'
sort `rand'
replace `var'=`hold'[`order']
drop `rand' `hold'
}
end

You could hard code your -if- condition by changing the last -replace- line with:

replace `var'=`hold'[`order'] if indexnot(`var',"?") != 0

or you could add a couple of more lines to make the program accept an -if-

Michael Blasnik

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jesper Kj�r Hansen" <[email protected]>