st: adoupdate: problem with reported r(pkglist)

From   "Zurab Sajaia" <[email protected]>
To   "statalist" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: adoupdate: problem with reported r(pkglist)
Date   Wed, 23 May 2007 13:31:37 -0400

I thought (based on the help for -adoupdate-) that it saved r(pkglist) ONLY those names that need updating, but as you also wrote bellow, -adoupdate- returns r(pkglist) in all the cases.

Of course it reports in the output screen whether a package needs to be updated or wasn't found but I was hoping to use the returned results from within another program.

I'll write to the support and will see what they say.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kit Baum" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2007 11:18 AM
Subject: st: re: adoupdate: problem with reported r(pkglist)

sacrificial byte order mark

I do not see any problem with the behavior of adoupdate. If I say

adoupdate

It tells me that 5 packages need updating, and they are listed in r
(pkglist).

If I say

adoupdate xml_tab

(which needs updating)  it places xml_tab in r(pkglist).

If I say

adoupdate quack

(a nonexistent package) it places quack in r(pkglist).

If I say

adoupdate ivreg2

(which does not need updating) it places ivreg2 in r(pkglist).

What is the nature of the problem?

In any case, adoupdate is part of official Stata, so if you can
document a bug, report it to [email protected].

http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html