Re: Re: Re: st: re: general varlist in programs

From   n j cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: Re: Re: st: re: general varlist in programs
Date   Tue, 22 May 2007 22:53:36 +0100

This raises the question of the functioning of -nl-,
which did change between 8 and 9, although not
I think in ways that are relevant here. -nl-
pulls off your function name, then passes
the rest through -syntax-, and follows that
by a -tokenize- of the varlist, so it's hard
to see why you should need to do that yourself.

You are doing some tricky things inside your program
with globals and locals within locals. My only
suggestion is to

set trace on

and see where -nl- complains.

The command

global S_1 = "$S_1 B`i'"

is better as

global S_1 "$S_1 B`i'"

to avoid limits on length of string expressions.

Kyle Hood

Just for completeness, here is the function:

program define nlfocsolve
if "`1'" == "?" {
global S_1 = "B0"
global B0 = 1
forvalues i = 1(1)$nx {
global S_1 = "$S_1 B`i'"
global B`i' = 1
}
exit
}
replace `1' = 0
local v2 = $nx+2
local v3 = $nx+3
local v4 = $nx+4
forvalues i = 1(1)$nx {
local b`i' = "B`i'"
local v1 = `i'+1
local v5 = $nx + 4 + `i'
replace `1' = `1' + $B0*``v1''*(
``v2''/(invlogit($`b`i'')^2) + ``v3''/((1-invlogit($`b`i''))^2)) +
``v4''*(invlogit($`b`i'')*``v5'')
}
end

and here is the function call

. nl focsolve `vl', eps( 1e-12 )

where `vl' is my unabbreviated varlist local macro, which I generated
using my own unabbreviate command. If instead I write

. nl focsolve xd* var1 var0 fd xfreq*, eps( 1e-12 )

then I get the error (described below). Does this make the issue clear?
I'm still not 100% clear on the problem, but I think the issue is that I
am passing a set of arguments to nl that includes the program name
(focsolve) as well as a varlist. This means that it is not a varlist that
is being passed, and able to be automatically unabbreviated.

I have learned a lot from this discussion (I obviously was unaware of
unab, a useful command).

Kyle

*
* For searches and help try: