RE: st: -xtreg,fe-, whether to drop out individuals participated once

Subject   RE: st: -xtreg,fe-, whether to drop out individuals participated once
Date   Tue, 22 May 2007 22:19:43 +0100

Ekaterina,

Just a couple of things to add to what Uli said above.

- If I'm not mistaken, dropping the singletons (one-observation groups)
will affect the estimate of the constant.  This is because Stata's
xtreg,fe uses between-group variation to get the constant (I find this
approach a little odd, but maybe it's just me).

- If you want fixed effects estimates that drop singletons, and you
don't need an estimate of the constant, you can use -xtivreg2-.  As well
as panel IV, -xtivreg2- will do fixed effects estimates for the case
where all regressors are exogenous.

Cheers,
Mark

Prof. Mark Schaffer
Director, CERT
Department of Economics
School of Management & Languages
Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh EH14 4AS
tel +44-131-451-3494 / fax +44-131-451-3296
email: [email protected]
web: http://www.sml.hw.ac.uk/ecomes