Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: working with percentile cutpoints

From   "Visintainer, Paul" <PAUL_VISINTAINER@NYMC.EDU>
To   <>
Subject   st: working with percentile cutpoints
Date   Tue, 22 May 2007 10:55:58 -0400

Is there a way to create a new variable that uses cutpoints based on
unique percentiles of distribution?  For example, suppose I want a new
variable with 4 groups at (or as close as the distribution will allow)
the following percentile cutpoints:  13th percentile, 35th percentile,
and the 73rd percentile?  I've looked at -xtile-, -pctile-, and -egen-
and they don't seem to allow for this option.

What am I missing?

Thanks for any help

Paul Visintainer