Statalist The Stata Listserver

Re: st: Penalised splines

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: Penalised splines
Date   Mon, 21 May 2007 11:01:37 +0100 (BST)

--- Adrian Mander wrote:
> Has anyone implemented a penalised cubic spline?

I tried some of that some time ago, and got stuck on the fact that
simple spline terms tend to become highly collinear and these penalized

splines typically require a large number of knots (and thus spline
terms). I could have tried figuring out how B-splines would have fitted
in a penalized spline function, but I didn't. However, an approach that
is similar can be found in (Royston and Sauerbrei 2007)

Hope this helps,

Patrick Royston and Willi Sauerbrei (2007) "Multivariate modeling with
cubic regression splines: A principled approach" The Stata Journal,
7(1), pp. 45-70.

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Boelelaan 1081