Statalist The Stata Listserver

Re: st: how to creating a variable recording the sum of another variable by group in panel data?

From   "natalie chan" <natalie.channew@googlemail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: how to creating a variable recording the sum of another variable by group in panel data?
Date   Sun, 20 May 2007 23:08:01 +0100

sorry for the silly question. I have just found that I can do this:

egen alloutput=total(output), by(industry year)

I did try this before but I put it as by(industry, year) and it didn't work.