Statalist The Stata Listserver

Re: st: Keeping significant spaces with -infile- and -infix-

From   Joseph Coveney <>
To   Statalist <>
Subject   Re: st: Keeping significant spaces with -infile- and -infix-
Date   Fri, 18 May 2007 23:38:27 +0900

Phil Bardsley wrote:

Last year I brought this up with Stata Tech Support and got the reply below
from Kevin Crow. The application I was working on needed to be automated in
a way that precluded using Kevin's approach. I ended up going through SPSS
first, then converting to Stata, since SPSS preserves leading and trailing
blanks. What I'd like to see in Stata is something like a "notrim" option
on -infile- that would keep leading and trailing blanks.

Thanks for relaying that.  I'd considered alternatives, such as -file-, but,
as I mentioned in the post, they appear to be at least as involved as the
character-substitution workaround.

I've no idea how difficult a -notrim- option for -infile- and -infix-would
be for StataCorp to implement.  If it wouldn't interfere with items higher
on the wish list, then I'd second a motion in favor of it.

Joseph Coveney