Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: generating variables with panel data

From   Nico <>
Subject   st: generating variables with panel data
Date   Thu, 17 May 2007 18:40:25 -0700 (PDT)

I am sure there is a very simple solution to this
problem, but I don't know what it is...

I have a panel of 50 countries, 14 years, with the
dollar exchange rate being one of the variables.  For

Australia 1990 austexch1990
Australia 1991 austexch1991
Australia 1992 austexch1992
Peru      1990 peruexch1990
Peru      1991 peruexch1991
Peru      1992 peruexch1992

The problem I am having is that I want to generate a
variable equal to the exchange rate in 2000 for each
Australia 1990 austexch2000
Australia 1991 austexch2000
Australia 1992 austexch2000
Peru      1990 peruexch2000
Peru      1991 peruexch2000
Peru      1992 peruexch2000

It must be very easy to do, but I don't know how to
specify it.  I don't believe any of the expressions
listed in help for 'egen' serve me either.  Any
suggestions would be appreciated.