From: Austin Nichols [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Wednesday, May 16, 2007 13:18
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: more complicated counting...

Jesse--
Most of the relevant user-written contributions are collected in
-egenmore-, but almost any commands for this kind of work other than
-by-, -sort-, -gen, -replace-, and -egen- are just shortcuts (including
-gsort-) and in many cases it is more efficient to work using only those
5 commands.

Your example is unclear--you seem to assert that the 7 obs belong to the
same surgeon, but the Surgeon variable differs--and your sort order is
not specified in full.  Perhaps the "more" on the subject line indicates
that necessary info is in prior emails; I don't remember them. Also, why
use illegal names for variables?  You are imposing an extra burden on
those who are supposed to help by not providing a clean example of the
beginning data and the target data.

input  Surgeon Hosp Cases NumofHosp
        1      1     4     1
        1      1     4     1
        1      1     4     1
        1      1     4     1
        1      1     2     2
        1      1     2     2
        1      2     1     2
        2      1     4     1
        2      1     4     1
        2      1     4     1
        2      1     4     1
        2      2     2     2
        2      2     2     2
        2      2     1     2
end
g Patient=_n
g nc=-Cases
bys Sur (nc): g kp=(Hosp!=Hosp[_n-1] & _n>1)
by Sur: g keepers=sum(kp)
li, noo sepby(S)

On 5/16/07, Moore, Jesse <[email protected]> wrote:
> I have data about surgeons who were operated on at different
> hospitals. I'd like to keep the information from the hospital with the
most cases:
> Patient Surgeon Hosp    Cases@hosp      NumofHosp
> A               A               1       4               1
> B               A               1       4               1
> C               A               1       4               1
> D               A               1       4               1
> E               B               1       2               2
> F               B               1       2               2
> G               B               2       1               2
>
> I've used gsort so Cases@hosp is in descending order.  I'd like to
> have a way of creating a new var (keepers) that would identify
> patients A-F but not patient G (second hospital for the surgeon and
> the hospital with the fewest cases for that surgeon).  Or, put another

> way, if the Hosp changes for a surgeon the indicator var "keepers"
> goes from a 0 to 1 and stays that way until the next surgeon.
>
> I realize there are a lot of programs out there (SSC).  How does one
> go about searching them for a possible solution to programming
> challenges?

Confidentiality Notice: