st: more complicated counting...

From   "Moore, Jesse" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: more complicated counting...
Date   Wed, 16 May 2007 10:13:34 -0400

I have data about surgeons who were operated on at different hospitals.
I'd like to keep the information from the hospital with the most cases:
Patient	Surgeon	Hosp	Cases@hosp	NumofHosp
A		A		1	4		1
B		A		1	4		1
C		A		1	4		1
D		A		1	4		1
E		B		1	2		2
F		B		1	2		2
G		B		2	1		2

I've used gsort so Cases@hosp is in descending order.  I'd like to have
a way of creating a new var (keepers) that would identify patients A-F
but not patient G (second hospital for the surgeon and the hospital with
the fewest cases for that surgeon).  Or, put another way, if the Hosp
changes for a surgeon the indicator var "keepers" goes from a 0 to 1 and
stays that way until the next surgeon.

I realize there are a lot of programs out there (SSC).  How does one go
about searching them for a possible solution to programming challenges?

Thanks,

JSM

Jesse Moore, MD
General Surgery Resident