From   "Michael Blasnik" <>
To   <>
Subject   Re: st: Re: interested in tabvals
Date   Sun, 13 May 2007 12:38:04 -0400

I just posted the clarification for that exact portion of code yesterday -- didn't you see it on Statalist?
The correct lines there are numbered below (done include the number and it open parentheses)

*** ? ***
1) syntax varlist( min=1 max=2) [if] [in], values(numlist) [MISSing] *

2) if "`missing'"!="" {

3) local novarlist "novarlist"

4) }

I don't plan to put in semi colon delinmiters. I'd rather just post it to SSC once I write a help file.

----- Original Message ----- From: "John LeBlanc" <>
To: "Michael Blasnik" <>
Sent: Sunday, May 13, 2007 9:17 AM
Subject: Re: st: Re: interested in tabvals

Michael, it is not clear for novice programmers like me to detect where
word-wrapping is a problem. If you have time, perhaps you could change
the delimiter to something like ';'. Alternatively, I"ve cleaned it up
as best as I can figure out but I'm puzzled by the section I've marked
with ***?***. Are the <CR> correct?

program define tabvals
version 8.0
*!  v 1.0 M Blasnik
*** ? ***
syntax varlist( min=1 max=2) [if] [in], values(numlist)
[MISSing] * if "`missing'"!="" {  local novarlist "novarlist"
*** ? ***
marksample touse , `novarlist'
local var: word 1 of `varlist'
qui levels `var' if `touse', local(hasvals) `missing'
local addvals: list values - hasvals
local tempobs: word count `addvals'
if `tempobs'>0 {
 local origN=_N
 qui expand `tempobs'+1 in l
 tempvar real
 qui gen byte `real'=(_n<=`origN')
 qui replace `touse'=1 in -`tempobs'/l
 forvalues i=1/`tempobs' {
  local obsn=`origN'+`i'
  local val: word `i' of `addvals'
  qui replace `var'=`val' in `obsn'
 noi tab `varlist' if `touse', subpop(`real') `missing' `options'
else {
noi tab `varlist' if `touse' , `missing' `options'

John LeBlanc

John C. LeBlanc, MD, MSc, FRCPC
Associate Professor
Pediatrics, Psychiatry, Community Health and Epidemiology
Dalhousie University

IWK Health Centre               Work phone: (902) 470-8930
5850 University Avenue          Work fax:   (902) 470-6913
Halifax, Nova Scotia            Email: John.LeBlanc@Dal.Ca
B3K 6R8 CANADA                  Pager:      (902) 470-8888