Re: st: string management questions

From   [email protected] (William Gould, Stata)
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: string management questions
Date   Thu, 10 May 2007 08:37:39 -0500

Wanli Zhao <[email protected]> has two questions on string functions:

>   1. Is there some way to increase the limit of string length of 244?
>      When I create string from other string variables, I found some
>      weird things happen.  Now I realize it's due to the length limit of
>      string variable.  I am using SE 9.2.
>

>   2. I asked this before. I have a string variable. One observation is
>      like "a, b, f, g, b, a, a, f, g, g". How do I create another
>      variable which shows no repeated values, i.e., "a, b, f, g". The
>      sequence does not matter.

The answer to the first is no with a proviso:  you can use Mata to work
around the 244 limit so long as, Statawise, the inputs and outputs are
no longer than 244.

I assume there are a number of answers to the second question.  The answer
I'm going to show uses Mata, mainly to show how one might go into and out
of Mata to solve a string problem.

So let's assume we have Stata variable -replies- containing strings
like "a, b, f, g, b, a, a, f, g, g" (order not significant).

I just made the following example dataset:

        . list