From   "Phillip Sinclair" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: Dear statalist,
Date   Thu, 10 May 2007 12:51:11 +0100

Dear statalist,

I have a data list of the following form:

1. pupil id ... friend id
2. pupil id ... friend id
3. etc

Each pupil can have several friends, each listed as a separate case i.e. there can be several cases with the same pupil id each case identifying a separate friend.
I wish to create a new variable to identify reciprocated friendship choices  e.g. where pupil A names pupil B as a friend and pupil B names pupil A as a friend.
Please can you tell me of a simple way of doing this in STATA.

Dr. Philip A. Sinclair PhD (Lond) MSc BSc
Associate Researcher
Cardiff Institute of Society, Health and Ethics,
Cardiff University,
53 Park Place,
Cardiff CF10 3AT,
Wales UK