st: Large dataset . Slow Stata

From   "Tobias Pfaff" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Large dataset . Slow Stata
Date   Thu, 10 May 2007 09:17:20 +0200

Hello,

I am using Intercooled Stata 9.2 on a laptop with an AMD 1.79 GHz processor
and 512 MB ram. So far, Stata worked well with all datasets.

Now, we are analyzing a larger dataset with 70 variables and 180,000
observations. The dta-file has 224 MB. It takes alone two minutes to open
the file, not to mention the processing time of simple operations like
-drop- or -replace-. Is that normal? I have tried -compress-, which does not
have any major impact on the file size.

What is a PROFESSIONAL WAY to handle such a dataset?

1.) Upgrade my computer equipment?
2.) Split up my dataset (which would be a big nuisance for the analysis, I
think)?
3.) ANY OTHER STATA COMMAND OR TRICK?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,