RE: st: invgammap

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: invgammap
Date   Tue, 8 May 2007 16:26:29 +0100

Small correction:

The distribution concerned here is the _gamma_ distribution.

Its quantile function is obtained as here from the -invgammap()-
function.

There is another distribution, the inverse gamma, which
is distinct. It is also known as the reciprocal gamma, Vinci
or Pearson Type V distribution.

Yulia's slip arises because the word "inverse" is
overloaded.

In one sense, "inverse" has the sense of
"inverse function". This is the case with the quantile function
which is, the inverse of the (cumulative) distribution function.
The prefix "inv" in -invgammap()- is there for this reason.

In another sense, "inverse" has the sense of "reciprocal".
Thus, the inverse gamma is so-called because (for example)
y is distributed as an inverse gamma if 1/y is distributed
as a gamma.

Yulia Marchenko, StataCorp