st: RE: ivreg2 gmm or cue options and initial values

Subject   st: RE: ivreg2 gmm or cue options and initial values
Date   Mon, 7 May 2007 19:32:56 +0100

Lukas,

I don't think the -cue- option will do what you want with respect to grid searches.  It simply minimizes the CUE-GMM objective function using Stata's -ml-.  Since -ml- doesn't do a grid seach, the -cue- option won't either.

Stata doesn't readily support inequality constraints.  When using -ml- you have to resort to tricks like estimating the log of a coefficient instead of the coefficient itself.

But maybe someone else has ideas here.

> My first question is: Is it correct that the cue option
> allows for a grid search between specified values? If not,
> does anybody know of commands that make that possible or even
> of another software package?
>
> Secondly, if I use the following command:
>
> ivreg2 y (x1 x2=z1 z2 z3 z4 ... z150), cue cueinit(b)
> cueoptions(???) robust
>
> I have read the ml help and tried to pass options to the ml
> routine, but I always get the error message "invalid syntax".
> How can I correctly pass the options to perform my search?

Not sure why you're getting problems here.  Here are examples of passing different maximization algorithms using the toy auto dataset:

. sysuse auto

. ivreg2 price (mpg=weight trunk), cue robust cueopt(technique(nr))

initial:       neg GMM obj function -J = -.74672932
rescale:       neg GMM obj function -J = -.74672932
Iteration 0:   neg GMM obj function -J = -.74672932
Iteration 1:   neg GMM obj function -J = -.74522321
Iteration 2:   neg GMM obj function -J = -.74522317

CUE estimation
--------------

... etc.

. ivreg2 price (mpg=weight trunk), cue robust cueopt(technique(dfp))

initial:       neg GMM obj function -J = -.74672932
rescale:       neg GMM obj function -J = -.74672932
Iteration 0:   neg GMM obj function -J = -.74672932
Iteration 1:   neg GMM obj function -J = -.74535713
Iteration 2:   neg GMM obj function -J = -.74531459
Iteration 3:   neg GMM obj function -J = -.74531458

CUE estimation

... etc.

-technique(nr)- seems to find a smaller minimum and gets there faster.

--Mark