Statalist The Stata Listserver

Re: st: random numbers generator

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: random numbers generator
Date   Sun, 6 May 2007 22:34:34 +0100 (BST)

--- "Cassio M. Turra" <> wrote:
> Hi, I need to generate random numbers from a discrete probability
> distribution (drawn from a life table). Does anyone know how I can do
> it in Stata?

You are not very specific, so it is hard to give a specific answer.
This post
gives a general description on how to draw from a dichotomous
distribution and is easily generalized to other discrete distributions.

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Boelelaan 1081
1081 HV Amsterdam
The Netherlands

visiting address:

+31 20 5986715

What kind of emailer are you? Find out today - get a free analysis of your email personality. Take the quiz at the Yahoo! Mail Championship.*