Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: alpha scale

Subject   st: alpha scale
Date   Fri, 04 May 2007 00:00:33 -0700

I'm creating a capitalism scale out of opinions on various economic issues. Alpha creates a scale whose scores are the average of the scores that are not missing, provided you have at least two that are not missing. How do I set up a capitalism variable so that it is equal to the alpha scale, where if the respondent answered all of the questions, capitalism takes on the average, but if a respondent only answered two, it substitutes the average of those two for the missing values?

* For searches and help try: