Statalist The Stata Listserver

Re: st: linear probability model (LPM)

From   Steven Samuels <>
Subject   Re: st: linear probability model (LPM)
Date   Thu, 26 Apr 2007 11:52:48 -0400

A linear probability model is desirable because effects are risk differences, which are much easier to interpret than odds ratios. It's best for proportions that are not too close to 0 or 1; otherwise the model may predict probabilities outside those boundaries. (In this range linear, probit, and logit models give similar predictions-Cox, Analysis of Binary Data, 1972).

In Stata you can use the -reg- command with the "robust" option to produce proper standard errors. However you still need to check goodness of fit. With continuous covariates, use the -linktest- command. You should also group predictors, continuous or categorical, to visually see if the linear model is accurate. With continuous covariates, the -lowess- command, with the -noweight- and - adjust- options will give you a visual check of fit without grouping.

Good luck!