RE: st: dealing with both simultaneity and self-selection in a system

From   "Elda Pema" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: dealing with both simultaneity and self-selection in a system
Date   Sun, 22 Apr 2007 10:26:26 -0800

>Doesn't that assumption mean that the variable program just isn't part
>of equation 2?

Marteen,

If I argue that program does not directly affect y1, but does so via y2,
then you're right I should remove 'program' from equation 1 and estimate

(1)  y1 = y2 + demog + family + state
(2)  y2 = y1 + program + demog + family + z1 + z2
(3)  program = parents_occ + demog + family + state

However, I still cannot avoid estimating a 3SLS model that is trying to
address two separate endogeneity issues and where one of the depvars is
binary.

Removing 'program' from (1) could allow me to split up the system into two
2SLS models - one that deals with program selection - (2) and (3)- and one
that deals with simultaneity - (1) and (2). Then I'd have to deal with
estimated regressors in a 2SLS setting.

Elda