Re: st: Stata/MP on quad cores

From   "Stas Kolenikov" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Stata/MP on quad cores
Date   Fri, 20 Apr 2007 15:12:44 -0500

On 4/20/07, Vince Wiggins, StataCorp <[email protected]> wrote:
It is hard to say, other than recognizing that many quad-core processors are
newer than their dual-core brethren and therefore may be faster and have
larger caches.
Well it looks like the quad (Intel) processors that I am looking at
are running at around 2GHz clock, and have 2x4Mb L2 cache, while the
dual cores have clocks up into 3GHz with a single 4Mb cache. Of course
the 2-quad-processor machine is much more for the many than the
2-dual-core processor machine, in the end, and I can get either under
my budget... but then also Stata/8P is pricier than Stata/4P.

Processor architectures differ in many ways and these ways are not limited to
the difference between dual- and quad-core versions.  Even so, we have not
found many consistent performance difference among processor architectures or
the multi-core vs. multi-processor computers.  We see differences, they just
do not generalize across all commands or even across problem sizes.
Well the command I would care a lot about generalizability of the
speed is -gllamm-, and rumors are that a lot of MP-ing stuff is
related to it. Is that true?

For a given number of cores or processors, our recommendation is that first
you get the fastest processors you can and that second you get processors with
the largest available on-board cache memory.
That's what I was going to do, anyway :))