RE: st: RE: Standard error

From   "Joanne Marshall" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: RE: Standard error
Date   Fri, 20 Apr 2007 13:51:33 +0000

Hi Maarteen,

thanks for ur help. i understand what you mean, but if i was asked to compare the Standard error of the variable wage (one of the independent variable) for two regression (one OLS and one under heckit), and found out the SE for wage is bigger in heckit, than OLS, what does that imply?

also for rho, i had an estimate for 0.38, but no chi result. what does the 0.38 reflect?

thank you ever so much in advance.

regard
jo

From: "Maarten Buis" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: st: RE: Standard error
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 14:06:22 +0200

--- Joanne Marshall wrote:
> I would like to ask when i have applied heckit model to the regression, if i
> found the standard error of the particular variable (say wage in this case)
> has gone up than the standard error predicted by the OLS model, (from 0.13
> to 0.26) does this suggest there is evidence of sample selection problem in
> estimating the equation and if there is a more in depth meaning?

The standard errors in your equation of interest won't tell you whether or
not there is selection. However, -heckman- will give you a test. The bottom
line of the output will read something like:
LR test of indep. eqns. (rho = 0): chi2(1) = 0.26 Prob > chi2 = 0.6109

If that Prob > chi2 is less than .05 you can reject the hypothesis that there
is no selection.

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis