st: simple string to number data conversion

From   "Donald Braman" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: simple string to number data conversion
Date   Tue, 17 Apr 2007 19:19:21 -0400

Hi folks,

I have a variable that happens to be a string FIPS abbreviation and
would like to convert it into a numerical FIPS code (e.g., "AL" into
1).

I'm new to STATA, and all my attempts using recode, egen, destring,
etc. have failed. I'm sure it's easy, just can't seem to figure it
out.

Help?

--
Donald Braman