st: RE: Collapse (sum) observations by two variables?

From   "Steven Stillman" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Collapse (sum) observations by two variables?
Date   Sun, 15 Apr 2007 17:20:23 +1200

The by option for collapse can take more than one variable so all you need
to do is: collapse(sum) amount, by (area candid) to get what you are looking
for.  Cheers, Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]]On Behalf Of Harriet Baker
Sent: Sunday, 15 April 2007 1:04 p.m.
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: Collapse (sum) observations by two variables?

Hello,

I am working on a project with contributors to candidates. I would
like to sum contributions within a given geographic area (zip code)
to a given candidate.  If I only had one candidate, then I would
collapse(sum) amount, by (area).  However, I have over 1000
candidates in the data.  Is there a way that I can collapse sum with
two conditions?

My data is structured as follows

Candid  	Amount		Area
1		10			a
1		20			b
1		70			c
1		10			b
2		20			c
2		10			a
2		30			c
2		20			b
3		40			c
3		60			a
3		40			b
3		10			a

I want:

1		a			10
1		b			80
1		c			70
2		a			10
2		b			20
2		c			50

Does anyone know how I might do this? Thank you.

Harriet Baker
Duke University
Political Science